Sunday, March 20, 2011

The NEXT BIG HIT

Well I  have set up my first wiki you can check it at at
http://thenextbighit.wikispaces.com/


It was mostly a very straight forward procedure once I figured out what I what type of Wiki I was going to make. I decided on making a Wiki for talented people to show off there skills. Whether it be a musician an athlete or a business idea. I think that people, especially businesses and promoters have realise the power of the Internet. Justin Beiber and Cody Simpson where discovered on YouTube just to name a few.


So if anyone knows of any aspiring and talented people out there feel free to add to my Wiki.


For those that don't know what a Wiki is I will first explain A wiki is a website that allows the creation and editing of any number of interlinked web pages via a web browser.


Any one can add ideas and edit, delete, information.  The wiki is not chronological like a blog page and so as different areas and pages are done, the work can be edited without worrying about the timing


Due to its open structure, the wiki does relies heavily on the good intentions of the readers and its users . In saying this the wiki has a history function where you can restore information so it doesnt get lost. 


As far as using a Wiki in a teaching context I think there is a lot of merit in the idea. Students could upload videos of themselves to the Wiki and classmates could critic there musical/athletic performance or whatever the students would like to upload (this would obviously need to be monitored). It could potentially be like a show and tell and would be a great tool in getting students to interact with each other. Wiki's could also be used for group assignments promoting a collaborative environment. The wiki allows students to increase interactions with both teachers and other students. Once all contributions are made class discussions can commence with the teacher quoting interesting observations and feedback


In my opinion, only students engaging in higher order thinking could grasp the teaching concepts . Due to this I feeel that this teaching tool would be suitable for students in advanced classes or from Grade 10 upwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment